Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Armor Bits 'n Bobs

When I first started out, I hadn't a clue where to find informational resources on armoring or where to get materials and supplies.  So, in order to make it easier for some of you out there, tonight I offer a bit of a resource list.  While not an exhaustive directory, hopefully it will be enough to get you started.  Also, I'd just like to point out, none of these folks have paid me for any kind of endorsement whatsoever.  I plug them here only because I have personally used there info, products and/or services and believe them to be exemplary.

Information about arms & armoring: techniques, tutorials, discussion, etc.

  • Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction, The 14th Century by Brian R. Price  I found this book to be enormously helpful starting out.  There are wonderful photographs of period examples, articulation theory and design, instructions for basic techniques and step by step instructions for some specific projects.  Even if the 14C isn't your particular time period of interest, this book is still a great source of information about armoring in general.
  • The Armour Archive - www.armourarchive.org - This is a great site with tons of useful info (tutorials, articles, etc.)  They also have a section with patterns that anyone can download for free.
  • myArmoury.com - Just go to the site.  If you're interested in sword and armor and you haven't been there before, your eyeballs might just pop right out of your head.
  • www.albion-swords.com - These guys make excellent swords, of which I happen to own several.  I've talked to Mike Sigman several times and he, and the rest of the staff, made my dreams of owning a real sword come to life.  Also, it might seem funny to include this site in a list about resources for armoring but remember, when making real armor, swords are one of the weapons we are trying to protect ourselves from.  Also, if you're interested in making armor, it's probably not a far leap to say you're interested in swords as well.  Just sayin'.
Supplies for armoring
  • I get all my rivets from these folks: www.rjleahy.com  Their customer service is great and if there is a problem with my order, they call me, tell me about it, and ask me where I want to go from there.  Thanks, Russell!  You are the man!
  • You can order small quantities of sheet metal, as well as a lot of other stuff, from  MSC Industrial - www1.mscdirect.com  
  • www.onlinemetals.com This site is great for small orders of sheet metal and I've always gotten good customer service from them.
  • For polishing, I use a compound call Satin Glo made by the Formax Co. and I get it from Midway USA -  www.midwayusa.com
  • For all things leather: Strapping leather, armor leather, buckles, tooling, dyes, etc. - www.tandyleatherfactory.com
  • www.piehtoolco.com - I've purchased several Peddinghaus hammers and abrasive belts for my grinder from these fine folks.  I've had questions before about whether or not something was in stock and they've checked their warehouse for me.  Very good customer service.
  • Otto Frei has a great selection of stakes.  They're expensive but very worth it. - www.ottofrei.com
  • For putting holes in steel, I mostly rely on my punch from Roper Whitney, commonly referred to as a "Whitney Punch."  You can walk rite up to their website and order one. - www.roperwhitney.com
So there you have it!  Like I said, not an exhaustive list but that should get you on the road to being a real "hammer-head."

No comments:

Post a Comment